Tuesday, December 3, 2013

From Vegan to Paleo

I have been a vegan quite a few years now and recently have been struggling with  a newly discovered "sensitivity" to wheat and wheat gluten. I am finding it ever harder to find vegan ingredients that are non-GMO (genetically modified organisms), whole foods and gluten free. With this in mind... We, my sons and I with blessing of my medical professional and the support of my friends and family, we begin our transition into the Paleo lifestyle. This is one of the biggest changes to be made in our household in a very long time... and it IS hard.

Thanks to Courtney, of BaxtronLife I am able to begin our transition from Vegan to Paleo much more smoothly than I anticipated. With "Practical Paleo" I am feeling more confident with our change and less panicky about our venture back into the world of the omnivores.
If you’d have told me, three months ago, when I didn't even included honey in our diet that I would be eating a primal diet  that WILL include meat and exclude soy and TVP, I’d have thought you'd completely lost your mind. But here we are... starting this new adventure... a bit shakily, but doing it nonetheless. We will continue to exclude fouls from our diet, along with milk... the two boy are allergic.

So what is the Paleo (Paleolithic) lifestyle about? The Paleo lifestyle consist of  a "Primal" diet of whole foods or "real foods" that fuels your body naturally and avoiding all refined, processed or nutrient poor foods... including grains, beans, refined sugar and pasteurized dairy products, to name a few.

Paleo is not a cut and dry lifestyle, but we are looking forward to improving our health by transitioning slowly. I know after years of living on a vegan diet, there will be some instances when I will reflexively want to object to some of the item that will show up on our plate, but once again... we will undertake this pilgrimage with patience and an open mind.

As of December 1,2013 we have begun our slow transition into the Paleo lifestyle. I am confident that with the support of my friends and family we will set out on this new adventure of enjoying, exploring and eating new foods... I hope you all will stick around and  walk this path with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment